Monday, September 8, 2008

And an Angel Came Down and Whacked Me with The Guide


Karim and I brisk walk from the MRT station to our offices every morning (a good 50-minute slow walk for me on some days when my butt feels heavy). I “drop off” hubby at the corner of his building since mine is around ten more minutes down Ayala Avenue. I run up to the sixth floor when I get to my building.

“If I do what you do, I’d probably be dead on the third day of work,” so I was told.

“I don’t like elevators, “ I would answer back.

“Claustrophobic?”

“No.” In denial, of course.

After months of doing this, I seem to be more alive and happier, especially after I gave up nicotine a couple of months ago. Soon as I enter the office, Gerese, our ultimately sweet staff writer greets me with a “Hello Mummy!” And the yackety-yack goes on until both of us get hit with the reality of this thing called “deadline”.

I got to work on Thursday morning with my usual craving for coffee. I dropped my bag and just when I was about to turn to get my first doze of caffeine, I saw IT there...IT was gloriously lying on top of my desk. I gasped for air as I slowly walked towards IT. Gerese watched me, giving me that same look she would give me when I go through asphyxiating moments like that. When I got closer, the IT I was looking at was really IT. A brown envelope was on top of it and inside was a note saying “You Will Believe!”

I might have pleaded too hard or perhaps too loudly that an X-Files Guide Book came falling down from heaven the morning after I posted “I Want to Believe”. When I opened the book, something fell off from it. It was a shopping gift certificate enough to buy me more books, a toy for Cole and something nice for Karim. It said, “The only requirement is for your family to have a blast this weekend. You all deserve it!”

On the same day, I found out that movie tickets for X and Wall E were on their way to me.

Who else gets lucky on Thursdays? Somebody just braved the strong Wednesday night rain to buy the book for me.

Angelica Therese Axalan, you truly are an angel. I don’t know how to thank you enough for letting this little miracle happen. The universe is looking at you and it will bless you endlessly because you have such a good soul!

You have just beaten Cole’s Tooth Fairy!

No comments: